For Your Safety


Sexual Assault


There are no rules for what you should do if you are raped. Your safety and survival are always the most important considerations.  Here are some things you can do:


• Call the police, a friend, or a rape crisis hotline. (In Westmoreland County, PA, call Blackburn Center: 724-836-1122 or 1-888-832-2272). A hotline counselor can help you decide what to do next.


• Go to a hospital even if you don't feel you have been injured. You may have internal injuries, or you may have been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease. The hospital exam includes the collection of evidence to be used if you choose to press charges, now or later. To preserve the evidence, don't shower, bathe, douche, change clothes or brush your teeth before the exam. Take something with you to wear home in case they keep your clothes as evidence.


Hospitals are required to call the police when a rape is reported, but you are not required to talk to them. You may have other legal options for safety, such as a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order, if you know your assailant. If you were assaulted in your home and you think you may press charges, be careful not to disturb the scene of the assault or any other evidence. If you believe you were drugged prior to or during the assault, a urine sample can determine the drug used. Knowing what's in your system can be important in treating possible side effects and other complications (be advised: your urine may reveal other substances in your system as well.)  In many hospitals, the staff will ask if you would like an advocate from the local rape crisis center to come to the hospital. If they don't ask you, you may ask them to call an advocate. The advocate can help you through the process by providing information and support.  If you would like assistance from Blackburn Center, please call us 24/7 at 724-836-1122 or 1-888-832-2272. 



Domestic Violence


If you are a victim of abuse, even if there's been no physical violence so far, the time may come when you are in serious danger.  Planning ahead can help you and your children stay safe.  Here are some things you can do:


• Teach your children how and under what circumstances to call 911.


• Identify a safe place for your children - a room with a lock or a neighbor's house where they can go for help.


• Arrange a signal to let the neighbors know to call the police.


• Keep emergency phone numbers in your purse or car.


• Notify your children's schools if there is any danger that the abuser might try to take the children from school.


• If you are injured, go to a hospital emergency room or doctor and report what has happened. Ask that they document your visit and take pictures.


• Be aware of the ways your activity on the internet can be tracked.


• Prepare an emergency kit that you can keep in a safe place and get to quickly - perhaps at the home of a friend or neighbor. Include extra clothing, money, checkbook, credit cards, important papers such as birth certificates and insurance cards, medications and prescriptions, extra keys, some toys or other items for the children.


• Keep the number for Blackburn Center's 24 hour hotline handy: 724-836-1122 or 1-888-832-2272.


• Know about domestic violence shelters in your area.


• Go to a public place (e.g., mall, hospital, police station) if you have to flee.


• Don't tell the abuser what you're planning. Be aware that you and your children may still be in danger even if you have left your abuser. In fact, the period just before and just after you leave may be the most dangerous.


Our Services:

Get Help Today

How We Can Help

Legal Support



Please reload

Since 1976, Blackburn Center has been providing services to victims of domestic and sexual violence and other types of violence and crime in Westmoreland County, and presenting education programs across this community.  You can learn more about types of abuse, our services, or ways to get help if you are a victim of violence or crime.  All of our services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL, and can be ANONYMOUS.


The official registration and financial information of Blackburn Center  may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll free within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.

Donate Now
Donate Now
Donate Now
  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page

Blackburn Center

PO Box 398

Greensburg, PA 15601

24-Hour Hotline:

724-836-1122 or


The information on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to take the place of professional services or medical or mental health treatment.


Internet Safety: Your visit to our website can be traced by another user of your computer. If visiting this site could put you in danger, please take the necessary steps to erase the records of your visit. Click here to learn more about internet safety.


© 2020 |  Blackburn Center Standing To End Violence | PO Box 398 | Greensburg, PA  | 15601  | 724-837-9540

Serving Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania